Saturday, December 28, 2013

Review: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire


Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
Genre: Coming of Age, New Adult, Romance




INTENSE. DANGEROUS. ADDICTIVE.

Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants—and needs—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.







What can I say about Beautiful Disaster (aside from it being a beautiful disaster)? First off, I’d like to point out how much EVERYONE in love with this new formed genre (New Adult), absolutely loved this book. And I should be ashamed that I’m one of them. But I’m not.

Beautiful Disaster began with the main character watching her leading man fighting fist to fist with another man within a ring. I must admit that’s the first time I’ve read a book that opened with two guys beating each other to a pulp on purpose. So, kudos to McGuire for being unique (well to me). Then came the following cliche:

Girl: I’m a tough and smart girl and I don’t fall for players like you.

Boy: I’m so intrigued by your disinterest that I must win you over somehow.

Did I enjoy this cliche? Yes, I did. But then again, I loved about a quarter of the book before I began disliking it. The more I got to know the main characters, the more I hated the book. The story dragged on too long when nothing was really happening. But when something did happen. It gets too overwhelming and rushed that I just wanted to put down the book and not read anymore.

To sum it all up, if I ended the book in between. I would have given the book 5 stars. But then, I had to keep going and ended up disliking the characters so much. But because of how page-turning and beautifully written the book is. I’ll give it a fair 3 stars for being such a beautiful disaster.


3 out of 5 Date Trees


 photo Signature_zpse00db79a.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.