Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Review: Clockwork Prince (Infernal Devices #2) by Cassandra Clare





Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
Genre: Steampunk, Young Adult, Paranormal Romance, Fantasy
Buy Links: Amazon / Book Depository / B&N

Synopsis:
In magical Victorian London, orphan Tessa found safety with the Shadowhunters, until traitors betray her to the Magister. He wants to marry her, but so do self-destructive Will and fiercely devoted Jem. Mage Magnus Bane returns to help them. Secrets to her parentage lie with the mist-shrouded Yorkshire Institute's aged manager Alyosius Starkweather.

Review:

Well, Cassandra Clare has been hitting it big with her recent movie franchise of the Immortal Instruments, City of Bones and then she writes a spin-off she calls, the Infernal Devices, where we are told the story about Shadowhunters during Victorian London. Okay, so, I was very reluctant to pick up this book. But thinking back on how I read and loved Clare’s other books and the first book of the series, I convinced myself that it’ll take me awhile to ‘fall in love’ with the characters. And when I finished this book. I felt both love and hate. I hated the characters. Tessa, Jem and Will, especially. I hate love triangles and I don’t understand why writers find the urge to always include it in their books. I hated how naive Jessa is and how easily it was for everyone to fall in love with each other. I’m hoping so much that the third book will help me change my mind about the main three characters.

What I did love about the book was the plot, the action, the machines, the controversy in The Clive (the Shadowhunter Government), the cat and mouse chase to find Mortimer (the antagonist) and overall, Magnus Bane (the warlock). He always likes but always denies helping Shadowhunters when they need someone healed or just to summon a demon when they have a question or two to ask them.

To sum it all up, I am very conflicted about this read. I loved it and at the same time I hated it. Now, I’m pondering whether or not it’s worth it to pick up the third installment that may be the only thing that’ll tip the scales and help me make the decision of whether or not I loved the series or hated it.

3.5/5 Stars




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.