Saturday, September 21, 2013

Review: Crossed (Matched #2) by Ally Condie



Crossed by Ally Condie
Genre: Dystopian


Synopsis:

The hotly awaited second book in the dystopian Matched trilogy.

In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake. Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever.




Review:

I was reluctant to continue the ‘Matched’ series, because I lost the drive to continue it even though I liked the first book a lot. I remember loving the poetic writing style and how beautifully the plot was written out in each chapter. But I learned not to expect the second book will be as good as the first one.

And true to my expectations, Crossed by Ally Condie was disappointing. It did have the same poetic writing style and beautiful breezy formatting and plot division. But it was too poetic that I just started getting bored really fast.

There was too much inner monologuing and way too much references to actual poems. And eventually, the book felt like it didn’t have much substance.

The plot continues where the first book left out and follows the characters Cassia and Ky, each getting their own chapters right after each other. I usually loved how some authors like to divide the chapters like that and the way we get to know what's on the mind of both the female and male protagonist. But in this book, I just hated it. And the only thing the  book made me feel was impatience because I wanted the book to end!

Crossed by Ally Condie is well-written but lacks the plot and factor to keep a reader interested. A good read for the fans of the ‘Hunger Games’ and ‘Divergent’

3/5 Stars




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.