Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Review: Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson #1) by Patricia Briggs

(Click image to add to your to be read pile)
Title: Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson #1)
Author: Patricia Briggs
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal
Format: Paperback
Buy: Amazon / The Book Depository / Barnes & Noble


Mercy Thompson's life is not exactly normal. Her next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a VW bus for a vampire. But then, Mercy isn't exactly normal herself.




Urban Fantasies are one of my favorite genres and I was curious to see how Werewolves fit into it. Honestly, it was exactly what I expected and my expectations were awfully low for this book. That is mainly because I dislike werewolves. But hey! If you're living life, might as well try things at least once. Let's start this review with a different breakdown. Starting with the bests and ending with the worsts.

Best thing about this book was the protagonist, Mercy's attitude towards life, people and most of all Werewolves. In the book, she enumerates what are the do's and dont's of being around Werewolves, which I found tickling my funny bone. The worst thing about the book was probably, the fact that it wasn't as enthralling readers expect from a big shot author like Patricia Briggs. I guess, this series wasn't her best? I can't judge or compare yet, I have yet to read more from her.

Best thing about the plot was that it brought together Mercy and one of the Werewolves she has known for years. Though, I'm pretty sure other readers would say something else about the plot aside from the romance, maybe something along the lines of the action, and mystery Briggs threw in. As for the worst part of the plot was the fact that it lacked the "big bang" factor.

The characters don't have much of the best and the worst. They all played their parts in the story that created massive hypes in Mercy's life. I don't dislike anyone to be honest. I wasn't attached to any other character besides Mercy and found everyone okay and somewhat likable in their own way.

The best thing about the ending could be that it ended happily. The worst part about it was the fact that it lacked the essence of a good cliffhanger. I don't feel like reading the next installments because of that.

To sum it all up, Moon Called is the best with a snarky, sarcastic protagonist, a plot that fed my romantic girly side, and an ending that will make you happy and relieved. Altogether Patricia Briggs still manages to write beautifully with wonderful dialogue and style. Despite the books flaws, I say - why not read the next following books! It might surprise me.


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Glad you overall liked this one Naj :) !! I've only read the first 4 books in the series in French and for some reason I didn't continue it ... Looking forward to know what you think of the next books darling !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.