Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Review: The Name of the Star (Shades of London #1) by Maureen Johnson

Title: The Name of the Star (Shades of London #1)
Author: Maureen Johnson
Started: 16/10/2011
Finished: 1810/2011
Goodreads | Review List
Review:

The Name of the Star, an unusual name for a mysterious book. When I learned that this book was surrounded by Jack the Ripper and its myths. I thought it will be the usual, 'paranormal guy' who happens to be Jack the Ripper and he gets with 'normal girl' and they fall in love. Someone comes between them and they fight for their love and win.

But no, this is nothing like that. Protagonist Aurora, moves to the UK when her parents accept teaching jobs at a university in Bristol, while she moves to Wexford, a train ride away, to finish her senior year of Highschool. Little did she know that she arrives in the UK just after a murder has spiked up the media, and was labeled the "Return of Jack the Ripper". The events happen and Aurora (or Rory) is caught in between as she becomes the prime witness in one of the murders as she saw the suspect no one else could.

My low expectations were crushed as I read this go on about how someone is repeating every murder Jack the Ripper has committed. I loved the mystery and feeling like a detective trying to analyse the evidence and predict where Jack will strike next. But this isn't your normal YA mystery. It has its own twist which I saw coming in some sense, but didn't know for sure, until they had to admit to it all. The book was thrilling though a little gory near the end of the book. As Aurora gets in tune with her unknown abilities, she was questioned by the police then again by another, who seemed rather shady. Everything falls into pieces as you enter the middle of the book, I especially loved how the book mentioned actual events and people. All this made me think. What if it happens again? What if Jack the Ripper returns?

An unputdownable mystery filled with suspense and thrill that will sure to run chills down your spine. A perfect mix of mystery, paranormal, and suspense to feed my hunger of the genre.



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. uhh.. This book looks really good :) Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you loved this. My expectations for this book have actually been a bit high from the get go so I'm looking forward to getting to read it for myself. Thanks for the great review. :D

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.