Sunday, April 17, 2011

Review: Firespell (Dark Elite #1) by Chloe Neill

Title: Firespell (Dark Elite #1)
Author: Chloe Neill
Started: 16/4/11
Finished: 17/4/11
Goodreads | Review List

Goodreads Synopsis:

As the new girl at the elite St. Sophia’s boarding school, Lily Parker thinks her classmates are the most monstrous things she’ll have to face…

When Lily’s guardians decided to send her away to a fancy boarding school in Chicago, she was shocked. So was St. Sophia’s. Lily’s ultra-rich brat pack classmates think Lily should be the punchline to every joke, and on top of that, she’s hearing strange noises and seeing bizarre things in the shadows of the creepy building.

The only thing keeping her sane is her roommate, Scout, but even Scout’s a little weird—she keeps disappearing late at night and won’t tell Lily where she’s been. But when a prank leaves Lily trapped in the catacombs beneath the school, Lily finds Scout running from a real monster.

Scout’s a member of a splinter group of rebel teens with unique magical talents, who’ve sworn to protect the city against demons, vampires, and Reapers, magic users who’ve been corrupted by their power. And when Lily finds herself in the line of a firespell, Scout tells her the truth about her secret life, even though Lily has no powers of her own—at least none that she’s discovered yet…
  

Review:

The book started relatively slow. It bored me a little but my passion for reading was stronger so I continued on. The main character Lily was your typical heroine. The start of the book kind of reminded me of Fallen because of how Lily transfers schools and meets her new punk best friend just like Lucinda. But I shouldn't really compare.

Anyways, the book started slow but picked up after 100 and something pages and began to get really exciting not as exciting as I'd like it to be but still exciting. This is my first encounter with hmmm... Adepts or shall I call them witches. Whatever. They're basically the same thing right? Oh wait no. They're different. -.- Reading so many paranormal books at the same time confuses the hell out of me.

I enjoyed reading the book. It had all the needed elements. A little angst, friendship, excitement, girlie bits, accidents, sweetness and of course your usual hottie. I expected a little more from the book but then again I wasn't that disappointed. The book was still a good read and I like it enough to read the rest and see what will happen next. I like Chloe's writing style it was easy to read and not too much into details but still paints a good picture. An average good book and a nice addition to my read pile. 3.5/5 stars.

Thank you Briana from The Book Pixie for sending me this book! I liked it bunchies. :D


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. "Reading so many paranormal books at the same time confuses the hell out of me. "

    I know what you mean, sometimes it feels like you already read the story before <_<

    I love the key in the cover! Thanks for the review :)

    PS. Love the new layout xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I think I liked it more than you. lol. But that's okay, the important thing is that you liked it, period. I can't wait to read Hexbound. Already have it but gotta get these review books outta the way first. Arrgh! lol. :D

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.