Friday, January 21, 2011

Review: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand


Started : 18/1/11
Read: 21/1/11
Released: Jan. 4, 2011

Goodreads Synopsis:
In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.
Review:
To be honest I was a little afraid that I wouldn’t like this book even after reading many positive reviews. Some people appreciate books more than others and some just have different tastes even when we’re reading the same genre. Okay, I know I’m babbling. I’ll get right to the chase.
Unearthly started out slow, easy and captivating. It wasn’t dragging it was light and steady. There wasn’t much “action” in the beginning but it wasn’t bad at all. It was still exciting in its own way and kept me reading word for word.
Clara is an excellent protagonist. (I totally see Dakota Fanning playing her) She wasn’t too overwhelming and angsty and despite the fact that she’s an angel-blood or a nephilim. She and her brother is left ignorant by her mother about the how deep the angel stuff can get. So mainly, she just knows the basic stuff like purposes, flying, the super strength and smarts other than that she is left oblivious which I think was kind of stupid of her mom to do but then again she is just protecting her.
I won’t go into the secondary characters because it’s hard for me to do so without spoiling it for you guys… so I’ll leave to you guys to read the book and find out.
To wrap up my review, I say that I loved the book from start to finish. It was literally captivating to the point where I couldn’t stop reading even when it started slow. Cynthia took care of that and simply wrote a beautiful book. I love her writing style so much that it simply took my breath away. Unearthly is an unputdownable book and I highly recommend it to you all. 
More from me here. Also, if you've read Unearthly and wrote a review about it. Share it in the Mr. Linky below so I and many others can comment.



Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. I've received a copy of this book today !! I can't wait to start it !! =) Thanks for your review Naj ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review :) I really need to read this book :) Guess I will buy this one one day :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, I also loved Unearthly. Can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elodie,Awesome! You're going to love it.
    MoonStar! Thank you. :D
    Starry Sky Books, I can't wait either
    Ashley, Get it, its really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of adding the linky!
    So glad you enjoyed it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really just sounds amazing! But I know what you mean about getting caught up in the hype over all the positive reviews and then worrying you won't like it as much.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.