Monday, January 17, 2011

Review: The Host by Stephanie Meyer


809 pages
Started: 14/1/11
Finished: 17/1/11


Goodreads Synopsis: New Bonus Chapter and Reading Group Guide, including Stephenie Meyer's Annotated Playlist for the book.

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.
As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.

Featuring one of the most unusual love triangles in literature, THE HOST is a riveting and unforgettable novel about the persistence of love and the essence of what it means to be human.


Review: 

I'm going to try starting out this review without saying anything negative about the book. I did enjoy the book. It accompanied me through boring times at my University. I liked the world Stephanie Meyer wrote up with this really out of it book. I think the right term is dystopian? Am I right?

I've heard a lot more bad things about this book than good things but as stubborn as I am I had to find out on my own if it is as bad as it seems. At the beginning of the book I was in fact bored and was thrown off by the sci-fi bits. I'm not into the aliens bit much. But as soon as I read after page 200. I got hooked.

Every time I closed my eyes I imagined myself in the world Melanie Stryder had to live in. Aliens taking over the planet while replacing the violence of humans into kindness and made it look like life was so much easier with "The Souls" on earth. Also, whats up with the weird names? Cloud Spinner, Petals Open to the Moon, Burns living Flowers, Sunlight Passing Through Ice? Most of them made me laugh. They sounded ridiculous. But if they were American Indians then the names would have been cool.

This book also reminded me of the TV Show The Walking Dead. I won't get into why I think it reminds me of the show because it'll be too spoilery for you guys. Anyways, I shall move on to mentioning my success of actually finishing a 809 paged paperback book within 4 days. I am proud of myself. But I think the fact that the book is 800 pages made me read it too fast because I just wanted it to be over. I wouldn't mind it if it was just a stand alone book but I hear its a series?

If there is another installment to this book then it didn't leave much of a cliff hanger. The ending pretty much said "END" like "Nothing else follows END".

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the love story inserted into this book. At the beginning there was so much violence coming from Mel's love interests. They all couldn't get their hands off of her in terms of bruises and black eyes. Basically, because she was one of "them" but I still can't believe how violent this book is. I think Meyer has stepped up a bit after Twilight. Horrah for that. But I can't say I liked this better than Twilight. They're both almost on the same scale.

Overall, I would say I liked it, it was okay. It kept me occupied and reading. It was entertaining but it wasn't all that. It'd give it a 3/5 stars.

Also, Check out:

Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. I'm one who hated Twilight (Twihards, please don't kill me!) But I have to say I liked The Host for what it was...light, and fairly intriguing. I think the character of Ian really boosted the book for me. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually loved this book! Because it was something different, light indeed, but about love, family, friendship, respect. It made me thinking about a lot of things I come across in real life. It was... passionate, emotional. Or maybe it was just Stephenie's writing style that kept me hooked.:P
    Great review!;) Oh, and I also found those names funny and the book overall too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this book, plus it was published in 2008 before dystopia was all the rage in teen fiction. But I agree it was unnecessarily long.

    I hated Last Sacrifice though lol that series should have ended in book 3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this one on the shelves and was intrigued, as it was by Stephenie Meyer. I have yet to read it, but now I can't wait! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I must say, I totally forgot how long this book was; it didn't seem like 800 pages when I read it. I think I liked it better than the Twilight series because it seemed a bit better written and more mature. And I totally forgot how weird those names were until you mentioned them again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow 800 pages in 4 days. That's a lot of reading. :) You know I haven't really had the urge to read this book. (Don't know why) I might have to check it out though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa, Yep, very light and very different.

    Deea, I'm glad you liked this book more than me. It was really passionate and was written better than twilight which I noticed and admired! Thank you for the comment.

    Samita, Thanks for the comment. :D

    T.B., Thank you! Hope you like it and appreciate it more than me. :D


    Aylee, Yep, Thanks for the comment! :DD My copy was like 800 pages. Yours was probably 619. Like everyone elses copy.

    Ashley, Check it out! You might like it. :D I know I did. Unexpectedly of course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review.. Just to bad you didn´t enjoy it as much as me.. This is one of my favorite books :)
    So looking forward to the film, which were talked about to be filmed in 2011 :) so hopefully soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to you for meeting your goal!

    I felt the same way with the Twilight books when it came to the pacing. Booooorring for the first few hundred pages and then it picked up. I really wish she'd change that about her writing style.

    Those are some seriously ridiculous names! I'm not sure I could read a book with those names and keep a straight face. How awkward it would be to read a serious or romantic scene and then see those names. :P

    Loved your review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really really enjoyed this book. It was, is at the top of my favorite book's list. I flew through this book not to get it over with but just so I could know what was going on next. Quicker and Quicker.

    Nice review.

    100 Follower Giveaway info...

    Mad Scientist
    Steampunkery & Book Reviews
    Forbidden Steam  Adult- even the Mad Scientist gets naughty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually really enjoyed this book.I felt Meyers did a great job with the whole scifi & dystopian theme. It really was well written. I could see your reference to the Walking Dead, (making runs into the city and what not).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.