Thursday, January 6, 2011

Review: Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1) by Cassandra Clare


Goodreads Synopsis: Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

Review: Now, to think of an introduction for this review. Lets begin with... I was surprised that I was immediately pulled into the story as soon as I started the book. Even the prologue got be reading further. 

The books setting is amazing. This is my first Steampunk novel and I must say that I love it! It has my favorite bits from every genre I've ever read. YA, historial and romance all in one. Clare has me stuck on her web with this one. :D 

The whole magical world of the Shadowhunters, Mundanes and Downworlders is brilliant and uncomparable! I have nothing more to say about the hierarchy of that! Onto the characters!

Tessa is a wonderful character I adored her determination to find her brother and how much shes willing to endure just for him. Talk about brotherly love. Her "gift" is a very unique one indeed. She can shape shift sure but she can do a lot more as she shape shifts. You should read the book to find out what. Honestly, I was waiting for her to be a real ass kicker but it never came. Probably will come in the next installments maybe? 

Will and Jem, the bestfriends and love interests of Tessa. Lets start with Jem, he is adorable and half-Chinese! I did not see that one coming. But I liked it. Clare really did put a lot of thought into her characters. Jem is sweet and sickly. Somewhat likes Tessa but now I'm not so sure. Will on the other hand is a complete jerk. He is so cute and hot and all but a real asshole. I really don't get him. I feel for Tessa every time she has to deal with him. His mixed signals and everything. I don't know what he'll end up doing next. But I still prefer him for Tess despite the fact that he keeps hurting her. 

My favorite character is Henry, hes just so funny. I reminds me of someone from a book or a movie but I can't place who. The way he dresses and the way he spends his time in his laboratory inventing things and then tests them only to have them blow up in his face. Its really funny and cute. I adore him and his wife too. 

I think I'll stop here otherwise I'll be typing up spoilers. Overall, the book was fabulous. I enjoyed the dialogue and loved the style of writing, it really makes you not want to put the book down. Clare is truly an amazing writer. I can't wait to read more from her. 

An unputdownable book from Cassandra Clare! 5/5 stars!

More reviews here.



Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Great review Naj !! I can't wait for Clockwork Prince !! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey El! Thanks a bunch! Me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to be honest..this book never really interested me. I saw all the hype and all but I just didn't give it much thought. I love how you describe this book though--how it is a mesh of all those genres. THAT sounds interesting enough for me to pick it up. Well, thanks you to, this one will be on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot even wait for the next book to come out. It feels like I read this book forever ago (mostly because I read it as an ARC months before it came out!). I might have to reread before I pick up the next one. Thanks for your review!

    Here from the CEP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Review. I ate up her previous series but was hesitant with this one, although to be honest I can't remember why. But your review has me feeling like I'm missing out (thanks for that! Ha) so now I will be checking it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed her Mortal Instruments series but I think I'm going to like this series even more. I think Clare's Shadowhunter world fits so well in the historical setting and makes for an awesome steampunk novel. I LOVE Will. He's my fav. :D

    Here via CEP

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one is in my TBR pile! I am a Cassie Clare fan, so I have a feeling I will feel the same way about it as you. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great review^^
    You are right, Henry is so funny...he reminded me of someone too, but I still can put my finger on it =) He seems to me like a bit of a mix between Ron Weasley and the inventor of Flubber played by Robin williams xD

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.